A Day in the Life


Wednesday, May 30, 2018

6:10 AM: Alarm goes off. I purposely set my alarm to give me just enough time to get ready so that I can’t hit snooze. I wash my face, drink 2 glasses of water, and turn on my computer to review what I’m teaching today.

6:30 AM: My first class starts. For the past 6 months, I’ve been working for a company called VIPKID. I teach 25-minute online English classes to kids in China, from the comfort of my living room! It took a few months to get a steady stream of classes, but now I’m trying to teach 3 or 4 classes a day, 4 days a week. Today, I teach Rita, Joe, and TIM (yes, he spells his name with all caps). I feel ridiculous singing a song called “I am Happy” to the tune of “Are You Sleeping?” with TIM, but he loves it, and I must admit that singing it improves my mood.


Yes, a headset is required. #nerdstatus

8:00 AM: I fill out the feedback forms for my students (they get sent to their parents) and then lay back down on the couch.


9:10: I hear Sophia yelling “Ba!” from the bedroom and know that my nap is over. I slept for about 45 more minutes though, so I can’t complain.

9:30: I scramble some eggs for Carlos and I while he finishes editing a video for a friend’s business. I eat my eggs with 3 flour tortillas and drink an iced coffee that my students had given me the night before. I saved it for the morning because I don’t do caffeine at night. Sophia hasn’t been into eggs the last few months, so she eats a cinnamon roll from the batch I made on Monday and a few strawberries.

10:00: I dust the bedroom and kitchen and fold laundry while Sophia crawls around.

11:00: Carlos leaves for work and I put Sophia down for a nap. I plop down on the couch with my Kindle and the rest of my coffee. I’m reading Jesus: A Pilgrimage by James Martin and really enjoying it. The Overdrive app that’s linked to my library card in Round Rock has saved me sooooo much money! I never buy books anymore because I can check almost all of them out on my Kindle.


12:30: I heat up leftover chicken pot pie (I made it on Tuesday) and broccoli for Sophia and I. I also drink a ginger-flavored kombucha, made by my friend Hannah.

1:00: Sophia plays some more and I attempt to get through the pile of dishes while listening to a podcast. I finish and even wipe down all of the kitchen counters.

2:00: Sophia starts to get fussy and I fill up her bathtub with the hopes that a bath will calm her down before her afternoon nap. No such luck. She screams the whole time and the bath lasts about 3 minutes. She was teething and sick last week and the week before last, and has been extra clingy even though she feels better now. I put her in her crib, leave the room, and brace myself for the screams.

2:30: More reading for me. Sophia finally gives it up after 30 minutes of crying.

3:00: I turn on my computer and read a few blogs before opening up “my book.” I didn’t write much for the first year of Sophia’s life, but am trying to be more consistent. I write about 1300 words and reach 80,000 total! I’m beginning to think my first draft might not be as far off as I thought.

4:00: Four days a week, I teach a Korean brother and sister who are in 1st and 2nd grades. Today I was supposed to teach them from 4-5, but their mom texted me saying they couldn’t have class today. Sophia wakes up and I give her a snack. With the extra time, I decide to take us to the mall. Any place with AC these days is a place I want to be!


5:00: We arrive at the mall and I head to H&M. I see a few things I want to try on, but don’t want to navigate the dressing room with the stroller. Sophia also starts to cry whenever I stop moving the stroller, so I decide it’s better if I come back another day by myself. After H&M, we head to Walmart and pick up a few things we need including vegetables for tonight’s dinner. I normally buy vegetables from the little fruteria near our house, but today I didn’t have any cash so I decide to just hope for the best with Walmart’s produce. We do laps around the mall for about 30 minutes and I decide to get my wedding band cleaned. Then I split a Reese’s blizzard with Sophia from the Dairy Queen upstairs. It’s her first blizzard and she, obviously, loves it. From Dairy Queen, she spots the arcade so I walk her over and let her play on a few rides.



6:30 PM: I decide we should probably head home so that I can cook dinner. We stop by Carlos’ gym on the way home to say hi before he starts working out at 7.

6:45: Get home and I start boiling water for brown rice and chopping vegetables (yellow and red peppers, mushrooms, celery and zucchini). I’m making a chicken stir-fry. I reheat nopales and potatoes for Sophia, and give her some of the plain chicken that I cooked to add to the stir-fry (I haven’t been able to get her to eat it with the teriyaki sauce yet). Sometimes I eat with Sophia, but today I decide I can wait until Carlos gets home from the gym to eat with him.



7:45: I haven’t talked to my grandma in a while, so I call her on FaceTime. She loves seeing Sophia!


8:00: Standing at the stove for almost an hour was HOT and I decide we need some fresh air. I take Sophia (and Fitz) outside to crawl around the church grounds next to our house. There’s also randomly been a horse tied up by the church for the last 4 days, so I take Sophia over to see it. I have no idea who it belongs to. We talk to one of our neighbors while we wait for Carlos to get home.


8:25: Carlos is home!


8:30: We head inside and I start the bedtime routine with Sophia. We read the story of Abraham and Isaac in The Jesus Storybook BibleI give her some water, and she goes to bed without a peep.


9:00: Carlos and I finally sit down to eat. The stir-fry is good! I don’t consider myself much of a cook, so anytime I make a decent meal I get really excited. We eat at home almost every meal these days, so there are lots of opportunities for me to practice!

9:45: Carlos and I hang out on the couch for a while next to the living room window. The cooler air feels amazing. For “dessert,” I drink half of a nopal juice that is so good.


10:41: I head to bed. Another 6:10 wake-up awaits!

One Comment Add yours

  1. Jill Douglas says:

    That stir-fry looks amazing! I don’t know why I can’t get it in my head that stir-fry is both easy and healthy . . . perhaps you inspired me, and this week is the week! And you regularly put in 2 1/2 hours of work in before 8am–way to go!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.